Microsoft Office for Mac has brought Microsoft products to MAC OX platform and Outlook is incorporated in it. Now the MAC users are able to use Outlook as their email manager and store their contacts, messages, journals, notes, events, and much more in it. It uses OLM file format which has equal significance like PST and all the Outlook information is stored in it. But just like any other file stored in the system OLM file is also vulnerable to various threats like hard disk failure, abrupt system breakdown, virus attack, operating system malfunction and hacking etc. Losing OLM data means losing important email messages, contacts, events, and notes.
Here are various scenarios related to corruption in OLM files and how you can handle them –
- Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem –
Whenever Outlook has to manage a large set of data for a longer period of time, it starts to become slower and gradually it stops working. It gives following error message –
“Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”
Here are some steps which can help to recover Outlook from such situation-
- Close the Outlook application along with Database Daemon.
- Change the Microsoft Outlook for Mac preferences to Desktop in the Library Folder and restart the Outlook application.
- If the problem persists, then bring the Microsoft User Data to Desktop. If it solves the problem, then it means that the database is corrupt and must be repaired as soon as possible.
- Outlook Database Daemon error –
Database Daemon is the networking program which works when all the MS Office applications are not running. When Outlook stops working due to sudden crash, it gives the following error message –
“Microsoft Database Daemon cannot be opened because of a problem”.
Trying below mentioned methods may fix this issue –
- Create a new user account, and check if the problem remains. If you still see the error message, then there is problem in the user preferences.
- Update the office application. It may remove the problem.
- Restore the database from the backup.
- OLM file corruption and DLL issues –
The most prominent reasons behind corruption of OLM files is improper synchronization between Mac for OS X and outlook application. It may be due to slow network, abrupt Outlook shutdown, and problem in message reading etc. A user will witness following errors –
“An unknown error has occurred in Outlook. Error code – 17199.”
“cannot find [file-path] \OLM.DLL.”
“This application failed to start because OLM.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
Having a backup of the OLM mailbox is a wise option as it can be used in case the actual mailbox gets corrupt. The user can import OLM file using the following steps –
- Start the Outlook for Mac.
- Choose Import under the File menu option.
- Choose Outlook Data File as the Import option and click right arrow.
- Select Outlook data file and click Import button.
- Outlook will show the imported items in On My Computer in the navigation pane.
- General compatibility issues –
Compatibility is an important issue between MAC OS and Outlook for Mac and when both applications do not synchronize well, then it starts to give various error messages depending on the compatibility scenarios-
“Microsoft Outlook must be closed because an error occurred. Any unsaved work may be lost.”
“Sync pending for this folder”
“attachments exceed the limit allowed please remove attachments, sync error code 17193”
Try following methods to handle the compatibility issues-
- Always install the latest updates.
- Start the Outlook for Mac holding the Option key. It will open the database and run a diagnosis.
- Export all the Outlook data in the OLM file using the Export option under the File menu.
Use third-party tools –
The manual processes may cure the problem once or for a limited period of time, but corruption may occur again and damage the OLM file beyond repair. It is better to use OLM to PST converter tool which can migrate all the Outlook for Mac contents like emails, contacts, calendars, email attachments, events, and hyperlinks. It has multiple advanced features like “Find Messages” which helps the user to search any particular email using different criteria like from, To, Subject, received before/after (time), and attachments. The tool does not hamper the data and completely secures the integrity of whole OLM file. Additionally, the split PST features allows the user to divide a large sized PST file into several smaller sized PST files. After a successful conversion the PST file can be saved on any desired location or the user can directly migrate the converted PST files to Office 365 or live Exchange Server, GroupWise or Domino Server.
OLM File Problems and Solutions
An Alternative approach apart from Manual OLM to PST Conversion Method
How to backup an Outlook for Mac Data File (OLM)?
Analyzing the Effectiveness of OLM Migration Tool in Contrast with OLM Issues
How to resolve inaccessible identities problem in Outlook for Mac 2011?